The phone rang and Ron brought me the phone, I was watering the garden. It was Suzette. I have known her since she was a child. She was blessed with stunning good looks and a simple, loving mind. She was a wonderful worker and as an adult she crewed on the Mariner II. She was a talented Hair Stylist and made a good living. But she loved the fun and glamour of the Mariner. She also, loved to party, drugs and booze were her constant companions. I was looking out the porthole in the galley, while prepping for a cruise. Doing work that Suzette was supposed to do. She was constantly late. But, she would work twice as fast and her sunny disposition would make all her tardiness seem unimportant. I watched as she veered from one side of the dock to the other. I gasped as she recovered her balance in time to prevent her reeling body from going into the water. I met her as she was about to board the aft deck. She looked up at me with a big smile and said: ” Well, I made it, Mary.” I said, ” Yes, you did it again, Suzette. But, you are in no condition to work. So turn your pretty little self around and go home.” She looked up at me with her big brown innocent eyes and giggled; “Okay, Dokay, you call me when you need me, Mary.” She saluted me, and turned heel and staggered back up the dock. Shouting over her shoulder; “I love you, Mary.” as she chuckled at her efforts to master her walk down the plank. “I love you too, Suzette,” And I did and do. How could anyone stay upset at this childish woman so full of sweetness and fun? She is now suffering from MS and is in a nursing home after having been widowed. Her speech is very impaired and it is difficult to understand her. But, I manage to get the jest of her dialog. A nurse has put my phone number on speed dial. So, I often get random phone calls from her when I flash through her mind. She has called this time to apologize for the death of a cattle dog I gave her twenty five years ago. She was living on her Grandparents 300 acre ranch in Martinez. I rescued the dog from a city yard and took him out to Romars’ Ranch, a produce farm that Ron and I owned. Unfortunately it was located near a busy highway and I feared that “Shep” would be run over. So I called Suzette and asked if she would like to have him. She was delighted. He was a wonderful dog. He became her constant companion. Unfortunately, her Grandfather backed over him with his truck and he died. Suzette was filled with guilt. So, she was calling me to tell me how badly she felt about his death. I assured her it was not her fault. And we talked for about an hour as she assured me she would be getting out of the Rest home and when she did she wanted a Schnauzer puppy. I said when she got out we would deal with the puppy. She giggled with glee and said; ” I loved working for you, Mary. Because of you, I know what Pate is. I was watching the food channel and they were making Pate. I was the only one here that knew what it was. You taught me so much.” I had finished watering my garden so I ended the call and told her to call me any time she wanted to talk. I am her link to her past that was a joyful time and the least I can do is make myself available when she wants to relive those adventures. smile emoticon heart emoticon
- 32,024 hits
- Junior Achievement, Inc. January 23, 2017After I left my job as Catering Manager of Jack London Inn. I could not find a job. In the late sixties I was one of three women to hold a job as a Hotel Executive in California. I … Continue reading →marysfarmreport
- Women’s March 2017 January 22, 2017Mary K. Smalley · WOMEN’S MARCH….. I am 77 years old this year. I have been a Woman Libber way before it was popular. I was one of three women to be a Hotel Executive in the state of … Continue reading →marysfarmreport
- My best friend died today… July 16, 2016My Dear Friend: Sharon Elliott just died. I am so sadden to know she will no longer be available to me for our phone calls and visits. But, I am relieved that she is no longer suffering. I think of… … Continue reading →marysfarmreport
- My best friend died today… July 16, 2016My Dear Friend: Sharon Elliott just died. I am so sadden to know she will no longer be available to me for our phone calls and visits. But, I am relieved that she is no longer suffering. I think of … Continue reading →marysfarmreport
- A Star Shines In Paradise…Sisters and Cancer August 18, 2015Originally posted on marysfarmreport: A Star Shines in Paradise…..Sisters and Cancer My sister; Linda Mae Dunlap born Aug.18, 1941 died of Cancer Aug. 6, 2003. After a fourteen year battle, which she fought gallantly. My sister and I spent most…marysfarmreport
- Mrs. Binghams Sixty Year Old Secret…. July 18, 2015Originally posted on marysfarmreport: I had a tradition of inviting a little old lady to lunch once a month. My girlfriends looked forward to being included as this was an opportunity to learn from some of these elderly stateswomen.? We…marysfarmreport
- Mrs. Binghams Sixty Year Old Secret…. June 5, 2015Originally posted on marysfarmreport: Mrs. Binghams Sixty Year Old Secret…..marysfarmreport
- The Gift of Time… is well spent. June 2, 2015The phone rang and Ron brought me the phone, I was watering the garden. It was Suzette. I have known her since she was a child. She was blessed with stunning good looks and a simple, loving mind. She was … Continue reading →marysfarmreport
- Merritt G. Smalley,III aka Gordo, my youngest child dies. April 30, 2015Originally posted on marysfarmreport: Dear Folks, The dogs woke me at 3:00 a.m. with their insistent barking. I could see the security lights were activated. The dogs were grouped in a pack at the yard gate. I went to see…marysfarmreport
- Last Rare White Mini-Schnauzer Puppy Sold.. March 10, 2015Molly May was bought by Susan Radcliffe and now resides with her cousin; Mr. Gibbs, bought from me four years ago. They now all reside in Anchorage, Alaska. Molly May will go to Susan’s office each day with Mr. Gibbs. … Continue reading →marysfarmreport
- Junior Achievement, Inc. January 23, 2017
Top Posts & Pages
- Merritt G. Smalley,III aka Gordo, my youngest child dies.
- HOW TO BIRTH PUPPIES...
- Two Year Anniversity of My Son David's Death..
- How to potty train in 5 1/2 days...by Fiona Kelly
- SAILOR DADDY LOVED THE RACES....
- Memorial to Gordo Smalley from his friends..
- Merritt G. Smalley,III aka Gordo, my youngest child dies.
- Junior Achievement, Inc.
- My best friend died today...
- Women's March 2017
- Bob Welsh - My Christmas Eve youtu.be/WxjZB5S_g7s via @YouTube 3 weeks ago
- Santa is Three Gringos in a Pick-up Truck.. marysfarmreport.com/2012/01/30/san… via @Fancydogs 1 month ago
- Women's March 2017 marysfarmreport.com/2017/01/22/wom… via @Fancydogs 1 month ago
- Leave your heart print. marysfarmreport.com/2012/05/24/lea… via @Fancydogs 2 months ago
- Broke my back. 2nd time in 10 yrs. 7 new pups to sell. $1,000. Xmas babies. 2 months ago