Mary’s Farm Report/Summer06/Broke my back


Trainer Tracy crossing Lake Oroville on Sage.


Dear Folks,
This has been a very eventful summer. Earlier this year I was having a wonderful time winning Jack Pots at the Casino. “Those were the days, my friends, I thought they would never end” I think the words of the song says. Well, they did end. I have had a patch of bad fortune.
Not only did the “Slot Gods” turn their backs on me, but I have had a series of heart wrenching episodes. Starting with a betrayal of a life long friend. Which I find to painful to even discus.
Then a tragic death of one of my beloved dogs. I had a new garden gate put in and she was barking at the horses and got the ring of her collar looped on a piece of rebar between the gate and the post. She strangled to death. I cried for 48 hours. With all of my dogs it would seem reasonable to think I would not be so grief stricken. I could not function and was consumed with the loss of her. I threw all my energy into creating a Rose Garden where I buried her. It is four times larger than I intended it to be. Arches, white lattice fences, statuary, Roses, Jasmine, Irises and Honey Suckle. I think of her everyday. It has been like loosing a child.
I have five horses, a mare and four of her fillies born out side my front window, with me as midwife. This past two years I have spent over $4000. with a wonderful trainer; Tracy Johnson. Two of my girls are ride able. My trainer and I agreed that I would buy a helmet. Have her come over and assist me; now 66 years old and weighing 200 pounds and having not ridden a horse in four years. It was a very prudent plan.
My oldest son, David was here visiting and remembers me teaching him how to ride. He also, thinks I can do anything, which I am sure I instilled that impression in him.
I threw caution and common sense in the wind, I admit my ego took over. And to shorten a rather long story, put a saddle on the horse that the Trainer told me did not fit her. I am sure it probably pinched , especially when I put my 200 pounds on her. She tossed her head, which startled my son, he jumped back, threw his hands up and she bucked. I went flying into the fence of the arena. I heard my head hit. I immediately thought of “Chris Reeve”. My son screamed; “My God, Mom you hit your head”. It was very loud. I did not go unconscious, I felt my back hit every bar on the fence. The wind was knocked out of me. David said; “Mom, shall I call 911?” I told him no, just let me lay there until I can see how bad my injuries were. My vision was blurred for 45 minutes. {Knock on head}. I hit the soft spot just below the base of my scull. Tender to the touch, but no lumps. I attribute that to my hard Oklahoma head.
I had David come behind me and put his arms under my arm pits and help me to my feet. I told him we would see if I can walk to his Pick-up, with his support. Every step was so painful I thought I would pass out. But, we made it to the truck and I was able to get up into the seat. I had him get me into the house and draw me a bath with a whole box of Epsom Salt in it. After, I managed to get into and out of the tub. with out David’s assistance and put a house coat on I called David in and told him to get me two Vicodins. Then I lifted the back of my dress and asked him how badly I was bruised. My 50 year old red faced son, says; ” Mom, for God Sakes! You are exposing your naked butt to me.” It was so silly, I started to laugh. I said; ” David. for heaven sakes if you can find anything sexual about my 66 year old fat black and blue butt, you truly are a pervert.” We had a good chuckle.
I could not walk with out assistance. But, I could walk so I figured I had no broken bones. “My Sexy Fat Butt” was badly bruised. I was in terrible pain, I remembered that I had some Morphine left over from my sister when she died two years ago from cancer, The expiration date said May,05. It was a time released patch. So, I put that on my arm. I went to bed. I have one of those Nova Mattress pads, if I lay on that I had no pain when I didn’t move. David stayed with me until neighbors and friends Chris and his wife Virginia, came and did the chores. Ron got home the next day from a Charter. He called his sister in Portland and she came down to take care of me and the animals. Ron took off work about two weeks, between the two of them they found a new appreciation for how much work load I have on this Ranch. – I called my wonderful friend and lifelong mentor; Wanda Klopson , who is an R N and ask her if it was okay to take the morphine and Vicodin together. She gave me very detailed advice about how to get out of bed without injuring myself any further. She said the Morphine has a long shelf life and was probably fine. I told her I was in to much pain to go to emergency wait around for several hours and have them put my poor body on a cold steel bed to take .X-rays that would show I have no broken bones. I have a very high tolerance for pain. I have my teeth filled without Novocain.
My biggest problem was I had little control over my bladder. I thought I might have injured a kidney. Each day I made myself walk with the aid of a walker that Chris brought. David made me promise I would go to the Doctor as soon as I felt I was strong enough for the ride into town. It was now two and a half weeks and I was walking unaided. I took my self off all pain meds three days before I went into the Doctor so we would know at what level of pain I was still in. On a scale of 10 I felt I was a 7.
I went to the Doctor yesterday, She sent me for X-rays, ASAP. They faxed her over the results. She said she did not know how I was able to walk. I have a fractured back. She screamed at me on the phone; “Your Back is Broken”. { I am sure she thinks I have difficulty hearing her.} Do not attempt to walk with out someone with you. Get over to get your back brace tomorrow, I have called them to rush the order. Get off your feet. I have ordered you two prescriptions for Morphine and 90 Vicodin take three of these a day. Do not lift anything over five pounds. She also gave me some Detrol to help with the bladder problem.
I do not know how long my convalescence is going to take. But, my Angel of a Sister-Inlaw cannot stay here forever. I am thinking I need to thin out my animals. The thought of this is very upsetting so I am going to approach this slowly. If any of you are interested in buying any of my animals, let me know and I will consider it.
I can’t write about this any more at this time. I will keep you all informed. Please say a prayer for me and my critters.


About marysfarmreport

__From Yachts to Manure___... I have lived in a 9,000 square foot mansion in Piedmont, Ca. to homesteading a mobile home and living without running water or electricity for six months in Oroville, California. These are some tales of my adventures. From traveling the world with my Airline Executive late husband to , operating a Yacht Charter Business on San Francisco Bay as a widow with young children, to retiring to a Ranch in Oroville and raising horses and fancy pure bred dogs. Come join me on my adventures as I write this blog..
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Mary’s Farm Report/Summer06/Broke my back

  1. Teddi Stilleke Kempter says:

    Your beloved friend, Wanda Klopson is my beloved mentor. I was a ‘baby-RN’ when she took me under her wing and guided me with love and knowledge. I have tried and tried to find her again to say a heartfelt ‘thank you’… it was so wonderful to see her name listed here. If you see her again or chat with her will you please tell her that Teddi send love.

    • Dear Teddi,

      I spoke to Wanda last week. You have answered a mystery. I think you may have Googled Wanda and that is how you found my blog. Is that correct?

      Here is the mystery. I went on my blog and entered under links was:

      Wanda Klopson, Richmond, Ca.Obituary

      My heart skipped a beat.

      I don’t talk with Wanda often. She hates telephones after so many years of telephone Triage. And she does not email. She is solidly placed in my heart and often visits my mind with wonderful memories of our times together. When ever I have a life trauma she is the first one I telephone.

      So, when I read that on my blog. I gasped and quickly searched for an obituary on her. Thankfully there was none. I called her home and asked gently if Wanda was there and was told she was and I asked to speak with her. She is one of those rare people where time is not an issue we always seem to pick up our conversation where we left off.

      I am enclosing her phone number and you can send an email to her son-in law : Craig who lives in the family home. Which I will send to your email address.

      I hope you will visit my blog often. Since Wanda loves you I am sure I will too.


  2. Reblogged this on marysfarmreport and commented:

    Hope I can get this type larger. I have difficulty reading this miniscule type.

  3. Hi, I do believe this is an excellent site. I stumbledupon it ;
    ) I am going to come back yet again since I saved
    as a favorite it. Money and freedom is the greatest way to
    change, may you be rich and continue to help other people.

  4. noble Click To See More

  5. Right here is the right site for everyone who would like to find out about this topic.
    You realize a whole lot its almost hard to argue with you
    (not that I really will need to…HaHa). You certainly put
    a fresh spin on a topic that’s been discussed for
    ages. Excellent stuff, just excellent!

  6. I’m now not positive where you are getting your information, however good topic.
    I must spend a while finding out more or working out more.

    Thanks for great information I was searching
    for this information for my mission.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s